“Start by doing what's necessary, then do what's possible and suddenly you are doing THE IMPOSSIBLE” – Francis of Assisi
The W.H.O states that globally 2.4 billion people are currently affected by conditions that would benefit from rehabilitation and highlights rehabilitation to be an essential part of universal health coverage. Rehabilitation is defined as- “a set of interventions designed to optimize functioning and reduce disability in individuals with health conditions in interaction with their environment”.
With the prime goal of enhancing rehabilitation service quality and efficiency in Karnataka, we a group of Medical, Specialist Doctors – Physiatrists, specializing in Rehabilitation Medicine have established the Kaveri Association of Rehabilitation Medicine (KARM) on 23rd April 2021 (registered under Karnataka Societies Registration Act, 1960). We through our expertise in Rehabilitation medicine i.e. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (PMR) strive to break infirmity barriers and raise patients to their best and most independent potential possible, utilizing best scientific principles and practices. As doctors, we use our medical knowledge and skills to facilitate this neglected aspect of essential healthcare.
Common medical conditions we treat include Cerebral palsy, Amputation, Spinal cord injury, Brain injury including stroke, deformities, and an array of painful conditions ranging from ligament injury and overuse to arthritis and other musculoskeletal pain syndromes. Our expertise extends to medical evaluation, disability prevention, mobility improvement, spasticity reduction, bowel and bladder rehab, chronic wound and ulcer management, COVID rehab and prescription of splints, aids and assistive devices needed to reach optimal quality of life and limit disability. Rehabilitation is not only for people with long-term physical impairments. It is rather a core health service for anyone with acute or chronic health conditions, impairment or injury that limits functioning.
As a budding society, we strongly encourage doctors to enrol and participate in research, education and healthcare planning for the betterment of rehabilitation services in Karnataka.
Aims and Objectives:
1. Education- To conduct regular workshop and scientific meetings for doctors in order to facilitate the application of the latest knowledge and best practices for patient rehabilitation.
2. Service – To support the establishment of new Rehabilitation medicine services in Karnataka, enhance the services of existing centres and provide a centralized online patient information resource for the betterment of rehabilitation in the state.
3. Research- To encourage cutting edge research and provide expert guidance in research methodology.
4. Collaboration- To encourage collaboration between various rehabilitation centres in the state and provide a launchpad for their collaboration with centres in other states via the guidance of our national association – Indian Association of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (IAPMR).
5. Legislation- To guide the legislation affecting rehabilitation in the state. To advise private and government agencies dealing with disability and rehabilitation in Karnataka. To improve public awareness regarding the need and potential of Rehabilitation medicine.